Texas adds 46,600 jobs in July, jobless rate stays same at 5.1 percentAugust 15, 2014
Join The Discussion
By Scott Nishimura
The Texas economy added 46,600 non farm jobs in July, and the state’s jobless rate stayed the same at 5.1 percent, below the national 6.2 rate, the Texas Workforce Commission reported Friday.
Private employers added 42,400 of those jobs, led by mining and logging, which is showing an annual growth rate of 7.8 percent, the commission said. The state is up 396,200 jobs over the last year, the commission said.
“The Texas economic engine is strong, with every major industry posting positive annual growth in July,” Andres Alcantar, the commission chairman, said in a statement.
Eight of 11 major industries reported annual growth rates higher than 3 percent, including professional and business services; trade, transportation and utilities; mining and logging; and construction, the commission said.
Fort Worth-Arlington had a 5.4 percent unemployment rate in July, compared to 6.4 percent a year earlier.
Texas had seasonally adjusted non farm employment of 11.2 million in July, up 46,600. Seasonally-adjusted private employment was 9.39 million, up 42,400.
Texas major industry segments, and the seasonally-adjusted jobs they added in July:
- Mining and logging: 1,500 to 292,200;
- Construction: 4,000 to 614,200;
- Manufacturing: 900 to 869,700;
- Trade, transportation and utilities: 4,400 to 2.24 million;
- Information: 2,000 to 201,500;
- Financial activities: 3,600 to 685,900;
- Professional and business services: 10,600 to 1.46 million;
- Education and health services: 5,000 to 1.48 million;
- Leisure and hospitality: 5,000 to 1.14 million;
- Other services: 5,400 to 396,800;
- Government: 4,200 to 1.82 million.
Fort Worth-Arlington industry segments, and their July 2014-July 2013 employment (not seasonally adjusted:
- Mining, logging and construction: 66,300, 63,700;
- Manufacturing: 94,500, 92,800;
- Trade, transportation and utilities: 217,700, 209,500;
- Information: 12,700, 13,600;
- Financial activities: 51,700, 55,400;
- Professional and business services: 114,800, 104,100;
- Education and health services: 117,600, 115,700;
- Leisure and hospitality: 108,900, 104,000;
- Other services: 37,200, 35,900;
- Government: 122,500, 120,700