Join The Discussion

 

Ice cancels flights, snarls traffic; snow in North Texas forecast

DALLAS (AP) — More wintry weather was expected across parts of North Texas through Wednesday.

read more >

Berkshire Hathaway company acquires Fort Worth firm

M&M Manufacturing, a producer of sheet metal products for the air distribution and ventilation market based in Fort Worth, has been acquired by MiTek Industries Inc., a subsidiary of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc.,

read more >

Plans for Grand Prairie indoor ski resort, Hard Rock Hotel evaporate

Plans for a $215 million indoor ski resort and Hard Rock Hotel in Grand Prairie have been shelved. Sherman Thurston, a member of the development team, sent a

read more >

UPDATE: Six candidates file for two Water Board seats

Six candidates have filed for the two open seats on the Tarrant Regional Water Board, setting up a battle that could potentially shift the balance of power on the board and the priorities of one of the largest water districts in Texas.

read more >

26-story mixed-use tower planned at Taylor & Fifth in downtown Fort Worth

Jetta Operating Co., a 24-year-old privately held oil and gas company in Fort Worth, and a related entity plan a 26-story mixed-use tower downtown at Taylor and Fifth streets on a site once owned by the Star-Telegram.

read more >

 

Decision looms on global debut for F-35

Rebecca Robbins
(c) 2014, The Washington Post.


WASHINGTON — The Pentagon said Tuesday that it has completed ground inspections of its fleet of F-35 Lightning II fighters but still had not decided whether the planes were ready for their much-anticipated international debut in two British air shows.

The Marine Corps' version of the fighter jet had been scheduled to fly before prospective international buyers at the Royal International Air Tattoo, which kicks off on Friday, and the week-long Farnborough Air Show, which starts next Monday. But last week, the military ordered a grounding of its full F-35 fleet after an engine caught fire in an Air Force version of the plane, launching a safety investigation and casting the fighter jets' big debut into doubt.

"I think certainly we'd be disappointed if we weren't able to take [the F-35] to Farnborough," Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said in a news conference Tuesday. "That said, safety has got to be priority number one, and it is, and nobody wants to rush these aircraft back into the air before we know exactly what happened."

Kirby said that a decision about the Farnborough show would be made soon, though he declined to give a timeframe. A Department of Defense official said that a decision about the Royal International Air Tattoo would likely be made at the same time and that the military does not have a no-go date for the shows.

The military is now analyzing the data collected during the ground inspections, said the official, who declined to be named, citing Department of Defense policy.

If the jets are pulled from the air shows, it would mark a significant setback for the nearly $400 billion weapons program. The sleek fighter jets, the Pentagon's costliest weapons program ever, have been billed as next-generation aircraft, but a series of delays and a ballooning pricetag have fueled criticism of the program.

< back

Email   email
hide
Catch
How 'bout them Cowboys?