Historical marker to honor city’s aviation innovation January 3, 2014
The public is invited to share some Fort Worth history as the city dedicates a Texas historic marker to celebrate its aviation history.
The historic marker dedication, set for 10:30 a.m. Saturday Jan. 11, comes after the City Council dedicated property at 2700 Mercedes Ave. as public parkland and authorized naming the plot First Flight Park.
City officials are expected to attend the dedication ceremony at the park located in the Linwood neighborhood just west of downtown.
The park honors the January day in 1911 when a Frenchman named Roland G. Garros lifted off in his Bleriot monoplane, marking the first powered flight from Fort Worth soil. Garros took off from the Fort Worth Driving Park, a race track situated near the current-day Montgomery Plaza along West Seventh Street.
All dedication activities will be at 2700 Mercedes Ave. at Carroll Street, just north of Seventh Street. Parking will be available in the Montgomery Plaza parking lot.
The event begins at 10:30 a.m., with marker dedication set for 10:50 a.m. and an aircraft flyover at 11:20 a.m.