Texas among states with biggest drop in unemployment benefit claimsNovember 27, 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of people applying for U.S. unemployment benefits fell 10,000 to a seasonally adjusted 316,000 last week, further evidence of an improving job market.
No state reported that benefit applications exceeded 1,000. The state data are for the week ended Nov. 16, one week behind the national figures:
States with the biggest decreases:
* California: Down 4,644, due to fewer layoffs in service industry
* Michigan: Down 3,342, due to fewer layoffs for business managers
* Pennsylvania: Down 3,112, due to fewer layoffs in technology, hotels, restaurants, retail, and health care and social services
* Texas: Down 2,584, no reason given
* New York: Down 2,246, due to fewer layoffs in manufacturing, restaurants and retail.