Join The Discussion

 

Fort Worth to consider adopting 15-year Cavile Place redevelopment plan

The 300-unit Cavile Place housing project in Southeast Fort Worth would be razed and replaced in phases, with a significant number of the units redistributed into the neighborhood.

read more >

Residential land at Chisholm Trail Ranch purchased

Stratford Land, Legacy Capital Co. and the Walton Group of Cos. have snapped up 268 acres of residential land at Chisholm Trail Ranch in Fort Worth.

read more >

Fort Worth payment processor acquired by pension plan group

Fort Worth-based First American Payment Systems has been acquired by an investor group led by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (Teachers’), with participation of members of the First American management team.

read more >

Texas adds 19,100 nonfarm jobs in June; Fort Worth-Arlington jobless rate 5.3 percent

Seven of Texas' 11 major industry segments added jobs in June, the Texas Workforce Commission reported.

read more >

Fort Worth council members approve Cavile Place redevelopment plan

The vote kicks off what officials say will be a 10-15-year implementation.

read more >

 

Flight attendant pleads guilty to bomb threat

 

DAVID KOENIG,AP Airlines Writer


DALLAS (AP) — A former United Airlines flight attendant has agreed to plead guilty to making a bomb threat against a United jet flying between London and Los Angeles.

The man's attorney said that United had declined to investigate the man's claims that a male supervisor sexually harassed him.

A United spokeswoman confirmed that the man had worked for the airline but declined to comment further. The man had been hired by American Airlines to become a flight attendant shortly before he was arrested.

According to court documents, Patrick Cau used pay phones near his Los Angeles home and around the country to make threats against six United flights between last October and January.

Under an agreement filed last week in federal district court in Los Angeles, Cau will plead guilty to one count of making a bomb threat against a plane. Cau, who also goes by the name Patrick Kaiser, is expected to enter a plea Monday and be sentenced this fall.

The felony charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a fine of $250,000, although federal prosecutors agreed to recommend a lesser sentence.

Cau agreed to pay restitution — United said it lost $267,912 because the flights were delayed or canceled after the threats — and, as a German citizen, he also faces possible deportation.

His attorney, John Duran, said that Cau worked for United for 15 years and rose to the position of purser or head flight attendant. Duran said Cau filed a sexual-harassment case against a male supervisor, but the case "didn't go anywhere."

"There was an actual basis for his unhappiness with United," Duran said. "He's a good guy who made some really poor decisions."

Cau was indicted in May and remains in custody. Doran said his immigration status made him ineligible for bail.

In February, American accepted Cau into its training program for new flight attendants. He began training in March but was fired in April after his name appeared on a government no-fly list, said Matt Miller, a spokesman for American.

Miller said the company checked Cau's background for any criminal record and whether he was on the government's no-fly list, but nothing turned up.

"My understanding is he was added to the list after" the airline's background check, Miller said. "That was the first red flag."

Neither the U.S. Attorney's Los Angeles office nor the Transportation Security Administration returned messages seeking comment about Cau's placement on the no-fly list.

Miller said Cau traveled on two flights during training and may have served drinks to passengers but would not have performed any duties related to safety or security.

___

< back

Email   email
hide
Training Camp
Training camp is starting this week. How will the Dallas Cowboys do this season?